The importance of email marketing in business continues to grow as the use of technology becomes increasingly popular. Gone are the days of only gaining leads because of referrals. As an advisor, you have to really get out there and market yourself now!
To help you tackle email marketing, we’re sharing some of the knowledge and experience that we’ve gained in this area through the years of working with financial advisors. This article should serve as just a quick and simple guide to make your life much easier when it comes to email marketing!
Writing a Strong Subject Line
What’s the first thing that you notice when you receive a new email in your inbox? For most people, the first thing that they read is the email’s subject line. Subject lines determine a person’s initial reaction to that message and often decide if the subscriber opens the email at all. People are busy, so if you don’t draw them in immediately, they are going to file this for later or might completely delete it! The success of your company’s email campaigns begins with a strong subject line.
A typical inbox shows about 60 characters of an email’s subject line, while a smartphone generally shows only 25 to 30 characters.
Tips to Writing a Strong Subject Line:
- As we mentioned, you need to ALWAYS write a strong subject.
- Keep it short and sweet! Busy clients and prospects don’t want to read something that is too wordy.
- Make sure that you are clear and specific about what will be included in the email body.
- Choose your words wisely as many inboxes use filter and search features. Make your email easy to find!
- Personalization is 🔑! People are much more likely to open content that is relevant to them!
- Avoid words that may send your email to the spam folder! Often words that are associated with sales can cause this to happen.
- Switch it up! Your readers will become bored if they receive the same type of email subject every time, so get creative with it!
Best Times To Send Email Campaigns
Choosing when to send your email messages may seem like an afterthought, but deciding when to do this is a very well thought-out and educated decision. Reaching your audience at the ideal time is vital to the success of any email marketing campaign. Think about it … would you want to send an email out on a Friday afternoon when people may already be in “weekend mode” or early Monday morning when the coffee hasn’t quite kicked in yet? We didn’t think so! So, there is definitely a time and day of when to best send your important email campaigns. We hope this post helps you more effectively choose the best time to reach out to your current and prospective clients.
Your Email Message Content
It is imperative to produce and send content that is valuable to your subscribers. Doing this creates value for your company, as well as helps to build your brand and create rapport. You want to be seen as a thought-leader in your industry … someone that produces content and work that proves you can be trusted to handle the money of potential clients. How do you do this?
Email Marketing that Inspires
How do you go about producing awesome content for your email marketing campaigns?
- You need to engage your readers right form the start.
- Teach them something that they didn’t know before!
- Make sure you are effective in what you are sending and there is a point to your words!
- Draw your targets in with meaningful content … offer up information about upcoming events.
- Encourage some type of action!
Building And Segmenting Subscriber Lists
This piece is very important, as the people that receive your information need to be carefully planned. It is crucial to constantly be adding subscribers to your lists and to tailor your messages to them accordingly. Not everyone is looking for the SAME information. Would you send the same email to a recent college graduate that you would to someone who is looking into retirement?
Inbox clutter is on the rise and this has caused people to become increasingly more sensitive to unwanted communication. Because of this, you need to develop your subscriber lists with relevance and care. When you do send an email, make it worthwhile for your audience to take time out of your their busy day to read it. While it can be difficult to build the perfect list of subscribers, there are some great places to start while you are trying to gain traction in the financial world.
- The bottom or the top of website pages
- A company’s social media page
- You can draw from blogs, newsletters and webinar registrations
- People who have chosen to opt-in after a direct mail was sent
- Pop-ups from websites
Segmenting your Contacts into Lists
When segmenting your lists, you want to include a group of people that share common qualities. These qualities can include the amount of their engagement activity, their location, and how far along they are in your sales pipeline. It is often effective for financial advisors to segment their client base by business professionals, pre-retirees, retirees, those going through a life transition or some other significant factor. You can filter and group subscribers based on any criteria that you choose, but the goal is to target each segment and provide them with the most relevant content possible. Tailoring your message content to specific types of users allows your campaigns to feel like a personalized conversation.
Creating A Newsletter That Customers & Prospects Will Read
Maybe you have the basics in place with your ESP (email service provider) but now you just need help creating content your subscriber base will read. In order to create an email or newsletter that prospects will actually read, you need to:
- Establish a purpose to your email.
- Be sure to follow the 90/10 Rule-Your email is 90% education and 10% promotional.
- Be sure that you are using strong subject lines.
- Include a CTA (Call-to-Action).
- Make sure that you are getting rid of the clutter! Readers don’t want to sort through meaningless text…they want to get straight to the point and FAST!
- Make it SIMPLE to unsubscribe.
- Most importantly … TEST! Find out what works and what doesn’t until you reach find the niche that you are looking for!
If you do all of these things, then you will be creating worthwhile content for your email marketing campaigns that can captivate your readers and turn your prospects into clients!